One of the best parts of an asphalt driveway is that it doesn’t require a ton of maintenance to look its best. The one thing that every homeowner must do is hire a sealcoating contractor in Annapolis Rock, MD to sealcoat their asphalt every three to five years or so. Keep reading to learn a few of the top reasons to schedule this service:
- Sun protection: The sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays are a natural enemy of asphalt. The UV rays cause the asphalt to become brittle, leading to premature cracking and fading. The best way to restore your driveway’s appearance and protect the binders and aggregate from crumbling apart is to sealcoat the surface every few years.
- Moisture defense: It’s not just the sun that damages your asphalt driveway—moisture does, too. In addition to washing away the surface, rainwater that’s penetrated the asphalt can cause the sublayer to crumble away. Sealcoating adds an extra layer of protection against rain and defends against the freeze-thaw cycle that causes potholes.
- Longer lifespan: Because of the two points above, scheduling sealcoating service in Damascus, MD is the best way to extend your driveway’s lifespan. You still may need to make minor repairs throughout the years, but your driveway can last for a decade or more if you hire a team for sealcoating.
- Better appearance: Every homeowner would agree that the sun-faded driveway mentioned above doesn’t look too good. The only way to transform your driveway from that faded, gray appearance to the rich, black look we’re used to is by sealcoating it.
Other forms of maintenance
Hiring a sealcoating contractor in Annapolis Rock, MD is undoubtedly the best way to keep your driveway in tip-top shape. But you should also perform the following maintenance items to ensure your driveway lasts for as long as possible:
- Keep it clean: Older cars are known to leak fluids when they’re parked for extended periods. If that happens to your driveway, clean the fluids up ASAP. Even if the fluids aren’t corrosive, they can still cause long-term damage. Additionally, make a habit of sweeping leaves and other debris off the surface.
- Make repairs: Even if you sealcoat your driveway yearly, it would still develop cracks here and there. Don’t ignore those cracks, as they’ll just get larger and wider as time goes on. You can fill most smaller cracks yourself with materials from the hardware store, which is much cheaper than hiring a pro.
- Remove standing water: Pools of standing water are the leading causes of divots and eventual potholes on an asphalt driveway. To ensure you don’t run into those issues, be sure to keep your asphalt as dry as possible. Squeegeeing the surface after a rainstorm isn’t too labor-intensive, and it can save you a bundle on repair bills.
Schedule sealcoating today
Summer is just around the corner, which means it’s sealcoating season! Ensure you don’t miss out on restoring your driveway to like-new condition by contacting Maryland Asphalt LLC today to schedule sealcoating service in Damascus, MD.
Categorised in: Sealcoating