Discover the Benefits of Asphalt Sealcoating
Sealcoating—the practice of sealing off your asphalt driveway or parking area—is a way to keep your asphalt looking fresh while protecting it from damage. If you’ve just paved your driveway or parking lot, you’re probably not eager to repeat the process, which is why asphalt sealcoating in Montgomery County, MD is a great way to protect your investment for years to come. With minimal upkeep and reasonable pricing, your pavement will stand the test of time.
What is sealcoating?
Sealcoating involves patching up any broken or damaged parts of your asphalt, then applying a liquid sealant over the entire surface. After the sealcoat dries, it forms a barrier against the elements, including precipitation and sun exposure, as well as general wear and tear.
There are two main types of sealcoating: asphalt emulsion and coal tar sealants. Asphalt emulsion sealers are typically easier to apply, and emit fewer volatile organic compounds than coal tar. Coal tar sealants, on the other hand, are better if chemical or fuel spills are a concern. They’re also cheaper.
You may also consider acrylic or fast-dry sealants. Acrylic is better for the environment, but comes with a far higher price tag and may not last as long. Fast-dry sealants are designed for businesses or homes that need to get back to regular traffic quickly (it can be ready for foot traffic in as little as an hour), but it doesn’t provide the same length of protection.
Sealcoating should be done every two or three years, or once per year if your pavement undergoes heavy traffic.
Benefits of sealcoating
- Protects the pavement from damage: Sealcoating protects asphalt from water, moisture, chemicals and salt entering the pavement and causing damage. It also protects against hardening and crumbling from traffic.
- Gives your asphalt a fresh, dark look: When your asphalt is patched and the sealcoat is applied, it will have a smooth, fresh appearance with the dark color associated with new asphalt.
- Less expensive than repaving: Finally, not only does sealcoating extend the life of your asphalt up to a year after you add the pavement, but it also breathes new life into your existing asphalt. When you patch and sealcoat your existing pavement, you can extend its lifespan by years.
Costs and concerns
- Cost: For professionally-applied sealcoating, you can estimate an average of $1.15 per square foot (including materials and labor), but that number may vary depending on the type of sealcoating and particular challenges your pavement presents.
- Environment: Coal tar sealants are associated with increased health risks for the laborers, and the potential for harmful chemicals to leach into the groundwater supply.
Asphalt sealcoating in Montgomery County, MD
Maryland Asphalt LLC is your source for asphalt sealcoating in Montgomery County, MD. When you want your driveway to last for years and look great, you need a professionally-applied sealcoat to keep it looking fresh. Our team can resurface and protect your pavement, whether you’ve just finished paving your driveway or your old one needs some refreshing. Call us today to get started.
Categorised in: Sealcoating